May 12, 2008

Six Feet Under



I brought my friends from out-of-town to the Mountain View Cemetery in Oakland this past Sunday. The architect of this cemetery is the same one who designed New York's Central Park.



Many famous and wealthy people chose this cemetery as their final resting place. We fetched the map from the cemetery office which shows the location of their graves. To be honest, I only know three out of the forty-seven persons mentioned on the map. Two of them are the namesakes of a chocolate company and a coffee company respectively and the other one is a woman whom I admire. She is the first female architect in our state who designed the magnificent Hearst Castle in San Simone, CA and a lot of other notable buildings. However, we couldn't locate her grave and I accidentally stepped on a tombstone during the search. >.<



According to Wikipedia, Elizabeth Short the Black Dahlia is also buried in Mountain View Cemetery. I wish I had known that before the visit.

7 comments:

新鮮人 said...

靚就靚,
不過氣氛有點恐怖,
好似靜得好厲害咁! =__=!

kristie said...

mountain view cemetery唔晌mountain view晌oakland,呵呵呵.

안냉하세요 송혜교임니다 said...

The one in Piedmont? That's where my grandfather is .......

Haricot 微豆 said...

The place has class, seriously !!

Haricot 微豆 said...

Now that I read abt the Black Dahlia / Elizabeth Short story, I do feel a chill up my spine. Poor soul !! From your pictures, it's still a nice cemetery though.

Noel said...

blog new york trip!

tofufa said...

Fresh: 一點都不恐怖丫

Kristie: Hehe..when I told my friends about this cemetery, they thought it is in Mountain View also.

Korean: Yes, it is in Piedmont.

Haricot: I know about the Black Dahlia from a movie (I didn't watch that movie myself). Yes, this cemetery is really nice. I kinda want to be buried there :p

Noel: I will...eventually...