Jul 29, 2006

Restaurant Furenzu - Emeryville, Bay Area

When Restaurant Furenzu opened a year ago, I thought it is a Chinese restaurant, but then I was puzzling with the description on Furenzu - "new wave Asian cuisine served tapas style". According to Wikipedia, tapas "are essentially snacks but are often combined to make up a full meal". No wonder I couldn't find any rice plates on their menu. :p Don't really want to spend more than $10 for something that can't fill me up, so I didn't try out Furenzu until my co-workers chose this restaurant for our company luncheon.

We had 8 people in the party and almost occupied half of the area in this tiny restaurant. Since we had almost ordered everything from the menu, let's just go down the list:

Small plate ---translation---> Appetizer
Lourdes’ chips - chips made of lotus root with a small amount of sweetness. Very special!
Garlic, chili and black bean wok fried edamame - edamame is not thoroughly cooked and it is not sweet at all. Black beans weren't crushed at all, so I can only taste the garlic favor.
Salt and pepper fried tofu - tofu is fried in the Japanese way and the chef use real pepper instead of salt and pepper powder for the favor.
Melted goat cheese, bee pollen & bok choy pocket w/balsamic reduction - the outlook of this dish is very interesting. It just looks like a little bag with a tie.
Marinated cucumber - I don't like it, maybe it is just me.

Not so small plate
Shrimp in a nest - the shrimp is wrapped by fried egg noodle. Nice idea. However, the shrimp is not very fresh.
Spicy garlic chicken wings - not enough garlic favor just sweet and spicy taste.
Vegetables & carrot noodle in cream sauce w/ wasabi & truffle caviar - they give a lot of caviar on the noodle. Too much that I can't really tell the favor of the vegetables & carrot noodle. I wonder if they got the cavier from Tsar Nicoulai Caviar
Mom's egg salad sandwich w/ duck prosciutto - egg salad and duck prosciutto(臘鴨), what a weird combination! The duck prosciutto is supposed to be salty, but I can't taste it :o

Not yet large plate
Duck confit w/ ginger & orange sauce on cauliflower purée - The duck leg is a little bit burnt, but the meat texture is great. I really don't like the ginger & orange sauce at all >.<
Flank steak w/ black truffle butter - I can't recall what is special about the flank steak
Garlic/ginger sautéed seasonal vegetables - it is the mini lettuce, very cute and tasty too.
Crab & spinach salad flatbread - I like this dish the best for its freshness and lightness. They do put plenty of crab meat on top.

Their specialty drinks (e.g. Lychee Saketini) sound very interesting too. Maybe I will come back for a drink.

Address: 3986 Adeline Street, Emeryville, CA
Tel#: 510-601-1882
Website: www.restaurantfurenzu.com
Hours:
Mon - Fri 11:30AM - 2PM
Mon - Sun 5:30pm - 10PM

No comments: