Jun 13, 2006

Dessert Republic (港飲港食) - San Mateo, Bay Area



Dessert Republic probably has the most creative decoration among the other Hong Kong-style dessert places in the Bay Area. They have replicas of Hong Kong bus stop stand, trash can, and post box. One side of the wall is painted and decorated with some famous Hong Kong stores in the old time. If you are curious about the history of those stores, you can also find the information on the wall.

I had been to Dessert Republic several times before. Last time, I ordered a Tai Chi sesame paste. I was disappointed with the black sesame paste, but the white sesame paste was surprisingly good. So this time I'm coming for the white sesame paste again. The first taste of white sesame paste is a little bitter, but the sweet aftertaste will overcome it later. I also share the egg puff with my relative. The egg puff was perfectly baked - crispy outside and soft inside, it would be better if it has a richer egg flavor. However, I have never try their rice plates nor crepes because I'm more into their hot desserts and specialty snacks.

Dessert Republic is located on an alley next to the Main Street parking structure. If you are starting out from Century Theater, just walk toward 1st Street and you should see a big red post box in between 2nd and 1st Street.



Address: 138 Main Street, San Mateo, CA
Tel#: (650)401-3570
Website: www.dessertrepublic.com
Business Hour:
Tue - Thur, Sun 12NOON - 11PM
Fri - Sat 12NOON - 1PM
Close on Monday

No comments: